360 degree feedback and several other assessment/surveys procedures have been used for many years to help organisations make better hiring and placement decisions, determine training needs, reduce turnover, improve productivity, and provide opportunities for self-improvement and advancement.
360 degree feedback for Leadership Development is the process in which Direct Reports, Peers, Boss and/or customers to provide independent feedback of managerial behaviors of the manager being assessed. The following practices could ensure an effective 360 degree intervention for Leadership Development.
1. The first steps: It is crucial to gain commitment and ensure the involvement of top management in setting long term goal for leadership growth and development by using 360 degree feedback instruments.
The obstacles need to be overcome and action plan need to be workout when adopting 360 degree feedback for the first time. The process and project role should be set before it starts.
2. The selection of assessment
Make sure you have all the need-to-know information about the assessment chosen:
What competencies are being assessed?
What is the scoring procedure?
Reliability and Validity of assessment tools
The confidentiality of the score procedure and the secure of the instrument
The respondent anonymity of the feedback results
What feedbacks results are given to respondents?
3. The communication
The candid and objective attitudes of 360 degree respondents are critical to the system’s effectiveness.
Every member of the organisation must know that this is an assessment for leadership development, not a part of performance appraisal, or part of salary or promotion review.
Reassure respondents about the anonymity of the process by explaining how scores of peers and direct reports are averaged and the anonymous nature of the feedback report.
4. The selections of respondents
Criterion to select respondents should be established including the sources/selection and quantity.
Selected Respondents should have enough exposure to the manager’s work performance.
Manager and his/her boss should participate in the process of selecting respondents.
5. The preparation for respondents : Inform the respondents about the overall administrative process, the frame of reference, and how to avoid rating errors as well as the kind of support that will be made available to them.
6. The feedback coaching session: The feedback should be given to the manager by qualified feedback giver who has experiences with assessment, who will help the manager to highlight strengths, areas of development and set targets for their development. It may include follow-up meeting with the respondents group that provided feedback, follow-up with the superior who help set development goals or with the coach, who will provide training to help the manager achieve those goals.
7. The development planning: The development plan at organizational level should be specific with outlined timeframe and action steps and the managers should be held accountable for their progress toward accomplishing their leadership development goals.
8. The re-assessment: The re-assessment should be conducted 9-12 months after the first one in order to measure the progress and to identify new areas of leadership developments.
Source: Profiles Vietnam